Sunday, March 4, 2012

AARP MedicareRx, Prescription Solutions Ripping Us Off

I  signed up for the AARP  prescription drug plan offered by United  Healthcare approximately one year ago.  I thought, as a member of AARP,  that I would be treated fairly and that the health plan would be reasonable and honest with its dealings with me.  I believe I have discovered  otherwise.



I must admit I was sent a pamphlet that contained all of the “annual notice of changes” but I should have reviewed it very carefully. It turns out that they have raised my fees in 3 different areas. Two of these areas are acceptable, but the 3rd I  view as completely unjustified, exorbitant, and an indication of an uncertain future with my dealing with this company.

They raised my usual monthly charge for a standard prescription from $7-$8. They also raised by monthly premium from $33.40 to $38.90. Although this seems a bit steep, it doesn't particularly seem unreasonable.

The problem that I have is with the 3rd item. They have raised the cost of a three-month prescription of metoprolol succinate 25 mg ER from $7 to over $66. That is a raise of over 900%. The explanation I get from the company is that it is an  extended release tablet, and therefore it is a tier 3 drug. Other companies, namely Blue Cross Blue Shield, make it a tier 1 drug. Frankly, I'm certain other companies make it a tier 1 drug also. I believe that last year it was a tier 1 drug with this United Healthcare Plan.

I can see no reason for raising this drug to a tier 3 drug unless they wish to make an unfair profit. This drug is a generic drug and has been around for quite some time. It is not as if it's a new drug or whether it was just changed to an extended release drug. I have gotten no satisfaction from the company over this issue.

I am writing this so that other members of this drug  plan can become aware of this problem and submit protests to the company just as I have. I find this action by United Healthcare Insurance Company to be arbitrary and capricious. It is simply another way of abusing the public by gaining exorbitant profit.

If for some reason I get an explanation that is reasonable I will retract this article. But if I don't I hope others will read this and submit their own complaints.  My basic point  is beware of this drug plan. Once they get away with this sort of unreasonable price gouging it will  become evident in other ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment