Thursday, December 23, 2010

Forgiveness? Think Michael Vick

When I first heard the news that Michael Vick was running a dog fighting operation in the back of his multimillion dollar house in Virginia, I was disgusted and angry. I was glad they found it, had stopped it, and I hoped he would get all the punishment possible for this egregious behavior. How cruel can he be? Training a dog to attack and injure one of its own kind just might be unforgivable. Reports had it that he had killed a dog if it didn't fight well enough. I can't even imagine how twisted the "emotions" of those unfortunate animals must have been.

I love animals. They are, in many ways, dependent on us as children, and to abuse them is beyond my imagination. Dogs, handled properly, give us unlimited love. Animals depend on us in many ways, and we also depend on them. I am convinced that animals, especially dogs and cats, have a "spirit" much like people. They communicate, have emotion, experience fear and happiness, and have much to teach humans, especially about loyalty.

When I was in medical school, we did terrible things to dogs and cats all in the interest of learning.  I would object to doing that now. I had a cat of my own for twenty years, and as he got older, he used to sit on my lap and stair at me the way cats do. I used to imagine he was thinking how horrible I had been to those cats years ago. I guess I felt guilty.

Because I had a lot of feelings about this episode I followed the news of Michael's goings on, and  was elated when he was suspended from the Atlanta Falcons, went to prison,  became bankrupt, and I wanted even more.  I have to say, that as he neared the end of his prison term, and started to look for a new team to play with, I hoped he wouldn't get a second chance.

Once Philadelphia picked him up and I knew that on some Sunday afternoon I would once again be confronted with his athletic antics again and I was forced to think more deeply about Michael.

When and how does one forgive someone anyway? He did his prison time, began speaking about animal rights, admitted he was wrong and shouldn't have done what he did. He even began working with PETA. Should I forgive him?  I knew it wouldn't make any difference to him, but I began to wonder if it would make a difference to me.

Mr. Vick taught me something. He taught me to reconsider the whole idea of forgiveness. All those who have done something hurtful, or wrong, have repented and try to get back into our good graces? What a useful lesson, not only for Michael to have taught all of us about him, but taking if further to the many others in similar situations who are trying to recover from something they should not have done. Forgiveness is liberating for each of us. It let's us use that energy for more useful projects. It is a burden we do not have to carry.

So in this Christmas season, think about someone who has done something wrong to you, and think about what they may have gone through because of their action. If it is appropriate in your particular circumstance, think about forgiveness. Think about Michael Vick.

 Michael, I forgive you, and I hope you do get that dog for Christmas. I know that dog will surely teach you something about love and loyalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment